Whether you or a loved one has been diagnosed with asthma, or suffers from seasonal allergies, there are a few facts to keep in mind.
1. Always keep your inhaler nearby. One of the best ways to take care of your basic treatment for asthma is to keep your medication and other items handy. When you leave the house, it only takes a second to drop your inhaler in your bag and stay on top of your allergy and asthma care needs.
2. Take care when exercising. If you take two puffs of your inhaler twenty minutes before exercising, you can help prevent an asthma attack. It’s always best to check with your doctor about allergy asthma relief before starting any exercise program.
3. Allergies are not contagious. You can’t spread them through contact like bacteria or viral infections.
4. Asthma symptoms are not always obvious. Not everyone who is wheezing has asthma, and not everybody with asthma will be wheezing. Asthma often manifests itself with coughing symptoms rather than wheezing, which can be harder to identify and treat if you are not familiar with a history of asthma.
5. Always be compliant with maintenance medication. Even if you haven’t had an asthma attack in some time, you might still be prone to one in the future if you don’t follow basic rules of allergy and asthma care such as taking your regular medication.
6. Always be compliant with recommended vaccinations. Your doctor might give you allergy shots as part of your routine allergy and asthma care on a specific schedule, which should be followed closely.
9. Air pollution can trigger asthma and allergy attacks. If you live in an area that’s prone to smog, especially, in the summertime, you should follow your doctor’s instructions for allergy and asthma care.
About Riviera Allergy: An allergist is a doctor who specializes in the diagnosis and treatment of allergy symptoms and manifestations, such as sinusitis, sinus infections, postnasal drip and asthma attacks. Riviera Allergy Medical Center, headed by Ulrike Ziegner, MD, PhD is an allergy and asthma center that specializes in treatment for asthma, allergy and asthma care, skin allergy treatment, and asthma treatment for children. To schedule an appointment, call 310.792.9050. For additional information please visit http://www.rivieraallergy.com