“As allergy doctors, we often work closely with dentists to assist patients with allergies.”
Did you know that allergies can affect your dental care? It may be surprising to think that you might need to seek allergy treatment in conjunction with a visit to your dentist, but there are many ways in which the two are related:
- Latex Allergy: Perhaps the most common allergy people think of when they go to a medical professional is a latex allergy. According to the CDC, this type of allergy can produce symptoms such as sneezing, runny nose, scratchy throat, itchy eyes, hives, and itchy burning sensations. It’s not just the gloves that cause reactions either. Dental patients with a latex allergy might experience problems with rubber dams, prophylaxis cups, and orthodontic elastics.
- Food Allergies: According to Dentistry iQ, there may be food allergens hiding in some of the products used in dental offices. For example, some polishing pastes or fluorides may contain gluten or nut oils. Cements may contain eugenol, which is derived from oil of cloves.
- Metal Allergies: Some patients may experience sensitivity to the metals or amalgams used in fillings, implants and bridges. Symptoms may include rashes, swollen lips, and lesions in the mouth.
- Local Anesthetic Allergy: Some patients may experience reactions to the various anesthetics or preservatives used in the dentist’s office, such as Novocain, Propofol (contains egg protein), epinephrine, and methylparabens.
- Seasonal Allergies: If you suffer from seasonal allergies it can sometimes feel like they are making your teeth hurt. This happens when your sinuses swell from congestion or inflammation. They can press on the roof of your mouth and cause pain in the nerves of your teeth.
Our allergy doctor, Dr. Ulrike Ziegner, often works with dentists to assist patients with allergies. We can make patients aware of allergies that may cause problems when they are receiving dental work. The dentist may refer a patient to RAMC for allergy tests prior to initiating any treatments which may cause a reaction. Together we can come up with alternatives which will allow you to receive the dental care you need without aggravating your allergies.
Sometimes patients will ask our asthma and allergy center for insights to help find local cosmetic dentists who are willing to seek alternative treatment methods for patients with allergies. Two that we work with include Fulbright Cosmetic and Reconstructive Dentistry and Yanase Dental Group.
If you suffer from food and sinus allergies or are allergic to latex or egg products, be sure to discuss your concerns with these dental professionals before beginning any treatment.
Fulbright Cosmetic and Reconstructive Dentistry – Cosmetic Dentist in Redondo Beach, CA
Patients visit Fulbright Cosmetic & Reconstructive Dentistry from South Bay and the surrounding communities because of its world-class dental expertise, personalized care, and amazing results their dentists provide. They treat each patient like a member of the family, and truly get to know their needs and expectations before designing treatments to achieve their goals. Some of their dental services include teeth whitening, porcelain veneers, Invisalign® braces, dental implants, and same day porcelain crowns. Visit the website and Facebook page or call 310-593-2137 for more information
Yanase Dental Group – Cosmetic Dentist in Torrance, CA
Yanase Dental Group has a proud tradition of three generations committed to serving the dental needs of the South Bay community. They provide integrity-driven and patient-centered comprehensive dental care in a professional environment. Their website is designed to help patients learn more about their practice, dental conditions and treatments, and dental recommendations. Some of their dental services include dental implants, dentures and partial dentures, crowns and bridges, and periodontal treatment. Visit the website and Facebook page or call 310-378-4244 for more information.
It can be a challenge to find a cosmetic dentist who works with allergy patients.
Dr. Ziegner believes that, “In allergy, asthma and immunology care, thoroughness is everything.” She takes the time to study a patient’s medical history and perform a comprehensive exam, and listens to learn about the goals the patient has for allergy relief. Riviera Allergy works closely with other health care professionals to watch out for the best interests of our patients. This review aims to educate patients about possible allergic reactions that may be associated with dental care. RAMC hopes this review will save time for allergy sufferers who need dental care, because it can be a time consuming task to find a cosmetic dentist who understands the special needs of allergy patients.
About RAMC – Riviera Allergy Medical Center, located at 1711 Via El Prado, Suite 101 in Redondo Beach, offers comprehensive allergy testing, allergy and asthma care, and treatment for seasonal allergies, sinus allergies, chronic urticaria, and food allergies. Headed by renowned allergy doctor, Dr. Ulrike Ziegner, RAMC provides relief from allergy symptoms and allergy cures. Visit the website at http://rivieraallergy.com to download the complimentary guide, “17 Ways to Relieve Your Allergies.” “Like” the Facebook page for allergy and asthma tips. Call 310-792-9050 or schedule an appointment online for an allergy treatment.