Here are some recommendations from Dr. Ulrike Ziegner, our allergy treatment specialist, to help make Thanksgiving safe for all:
- Talk about the meal with your family and guests to decide how you are going to approach this. You may decide to prepare the entire meal yourself to make sure it contains only safe ingredients, or you can offer to help prepare the meal at somebody else’s home. Depending on who has the allergy and the type of allergy, it may be possible to prepare safe items for that person while letting the rest of the family or your guests enjoy the traditional favorites.
- Be aware that you are not alone in dealing with food allergies. Many more parents and family members are aware of the dangers of food allergies and are willing to listen to ideas for alternative food items.
- It might not be easy, but try to focus more on activities rather than the meal. Many families enjoy a traditional football game or you might do some holiday activity together. This way the person with the allergy doesn’t feel like he or she is spoiling the fun for the whole family.
- Look for safe food alternatives. The internet has plenty of ideas and suggestions for allergen-free meals. For example, “Eating With Food Allergies” has lists a few substitutions you can make that will allow you to prepare a feast that is free of the top eight allergens complete with turkey, mashed potatoes and stuffing!
- Nut allergies can be particularly tricky. Be sure to read labels carefully for cross-contact allergy warnings on snacks, stuffing, gravy base, pumpkin bread mixes, pies, candy, and baking ingredients.
About RAMC – Riviera Allergy Medical Center offers comprehensive treatment for the mostcommon food allergies, skin allergy medicine, and asthma prevention. Located at 1711 Via El Prado, Suite 101 in Redondo Beach, the allergy and asthma center is headed by renowned seasonal allergy treatment specialist, Dr. Ulrike Ziegner. Visit the website and Facebook page or call 310-792-9050 for more information or to schedule an appointment for allergy treatment.