in Redondo Beach, Long Beach, & Torrance, CA
Hives are also known as urticaria and is an outbreak of swollen, pale red bumps, or plaques appearing suddenly on the surface of the skin. Hives are a body’s reaction to certain allergens, but can also appear for unknown reasons and can last for hours, or up to one day before completely fading. Hives can appear anywhere on the body, including:
Common types of hives are:
- Acute urticaria – Common causes are insect bites, foods, medication, or infection
- Chronic urticaria and angioedema – These hives can last 6+ weeks and are usually harder to diagnose the cause of.
- Physical urticaria – Caused by physical stimulation to the skin including heat, cold , sun exposure, vibration, pressure, sweating, and even exercise. these hives tend to appear about one hour after exposure.
- Dermatographism – Caused by scratching the skin or firmly stroking the skin.
How will Riviera Allergy diagnose my hives?
In order to diagnose your hives, Dr. Z will ask you questions in an attempt to find out probable causes. So please come to your appointment ready to answer her questions. The more we know the better we will be able to help you! The easiest way to treat hives is to identify and remove the trigger so any information you provide will be helpful is finding out that information.
Please note that while you wait for your hives to disappear you should:
- Apply a cool compress or wet clothes to the areas
- Try to sleep and work in a cool room as this will bring down the swelling
- Wear loose fitting clothing and try not to scratch the affected areas as this may make the hives worse.
If you discover that you have hives, call Dr. Z today at 310-792-9050. We look forward to helping you!