Find Relief at Riviera Allergy Today!
Have you been diagnosed with a sulfa allergy or believe you might be allergic? Sulfa is usually found in medicines like antibiotics and diuretics that are often used to fight infectious diseases. if you think that you have this allergy, call Riviera Allergy today! Symptoms of a sulfa allergy can vary, but it’s important to be on the lookout for these common symptoms.
- Skin Condition – like most allergies a reaction to sulfa comes with a discomfort to the skin, this can mean a rash, irritation, hives, or photosensitivity.
- Respiratory Symptoms – you can have breathing problems and wheezing when you come into contact with a sulfa material.
- Lung problems – along with respiratory problems you can also be diagnosed with pneumonia like symptoms with a sulfa reaction.
- Blood Disorder – When you have a sulfa reaction you have reduced red and white blood cells and blood platelets.
- Anaphylaxis – if you are experiencing nausea, vomiting, shortness of breath, irregular heartbeats, and loss of consciousness, you need to get to the emergency room as soon as possible.
- In rare cases the allergy may be associated with other medical conditions such as hepatitis, kidney failure, liver damage, and problems with their internal organs.
To Treat the Allergy
- Stop all medications that are affecting your symptoms and start medications that are necessary to treat the allergic reaction. usually your doctor will give you antihistamines, or in more severe cases such as an asthma attack you will be given an inhaler.
- If you are suffering from anaphylaxis you need to go to the emergency room when you will be given an epinephrine shot and will be monitored closely to make sure that the reaction does not get worse.
Avoid Certain Foods
The following foods contain sulfa and should be avoided:
- Canned Foods
- Dehydrated Potatoes
- Pickled Onions
- Pizza Dough
- Sauces and gravies
If you find that you have a sulfur allergy or are worried that you might, please reach out to us today and schedule an appointment with us!